Structural Durability Group
|Ki Yong Ann||Concrete Materials Engineering||Structural Durability Group Engineering Building Ⅱ, Room 112||+82)31-400-4028|
Everyone may have seen cases of poor construction of civil structures through media. To secure such a large civil infrastructure and longevity, our research field is currently conducting an integrated study based on the evaluation of durability, maintenance, and repair of concrete structures. The following is an introduction to the detailed fields being carried out in the lab.
■ Concrete Structure Laboratory
Concrete is one of the most widely used construction materials and exhibits superior durability and compressive strength. Concrete structural laboratories are equipped with concrete mixing and curing facilities, and concrete mixers, motorized compression tester, temperature & humidity controller, young’s modulus measuring instruments, pH/Cl meter, etc.
■ Research fields and facilities
1. Corrosion of steel in concrete
- (1) Corrosion behavior of concrete reinforcing bars
- Deterioration of concrete structures is accompanied by peeling, cracking, and corrosion of concrete surfaces due to penetration of harmful factors into the external environment and changes in the properties of the material itself.Corrosion of reinforcing steel requires polarization resistance method of reinforcing steel using novel techniques, chemical analysis of the microstructure of reinforcing steel-concrete interface, and study of the deteriorated environment
- (2) Mechanism-based experimental and analytical research
- Considering concrete's unique durability (chemical behavior and matrix structure changes), study the process of corrosion due to inflow of harmful ions (chlorine ions) due to void water in concrete
2. Health monitoring of concrete structures
- After inserting fiber optic sensors into concrete to collect data in real-time, including the reinforcement depth of harmful factors inside the concrete, observe internal factor concentrations in real-time and ensure reliability through verification The system, which integrates long-term monitoring and analysis into actual structures, is currently insufficient. Thus we find ways to make it practical (the range of harmful factors to be measured is chlorine ion, humidity, temperature, and pH).
3. Maintenance and repair reinforcement of concrete structures
- (1) Development of a model that mathematically interprets the chloride penetration process. Conduct a study on the development of a model that mathematically interprets the chloride pen
- etration process inside concrete considering the external environment directly exposed to concrete and its durability.Estimate the salt concentration from the concrete surface of a concrete structure constructed in a direct exposure environment to reinforcement, estimate the appropriate repair timing through predicting the availability of actual structures, and estimate the durability of actual structures.
- (2) Study the optimal method of repair method
- Since rebar corrosion is caused by electrochemical behavior between chlorine ions and iron on the surface of rebar, we expect to restore rebar corrosion by supplying electrons to rebar as much as oxidation occurs from corrosion.